Monday, May 12, 2008

Before You Move Forward, Clean House!

by Karen D. SwimI have been planning a blog move for a couple of months now. Planning to move my blog has not been unlike planning to move from your home. I have had to view potential new homes (blog platforms), put in offers (for domain names), manage financial details, research and hire professionals to help me move. Finally, before physically boxing up my belongings, I have had to evaluate what is truly important.

No one wants to pack up unnecessary junk and take it into a bright shiny new place, yet so often we are unable to let go of things we no longer need. I had cleared away some things but still had items, which I was not sure if I should keep or let go. This past weekend Amy Palko and Joanna Young swept in like the crew from the show “Clean House” and helped me sort the trash from the treasure.

A move forces you to reevaluate your possessions in a new light. You only want to spend time packing and bubble wrapping the things you really want and need. Books, bobbles, furniture and clothing that filled your home suddenly seem better suited to donate to charity or simply throw out.

Moving forward can feel labored and difficult when you are carrying boxes filled with things you no longer need. It is difficult but essential to retire those things, which have outlived their usefulness. We must also clear out the emotional and mental clutter. We leave behind old attitudes and thoughts as we pack up the moving fan and relocate.

Moving is hard work but becomes harder when we over pack. Taking the time to clear away the junk is well worth the effort. When you do the hard work in advance you can then move forward to your new destination with confidence knowing that you’re only taking what you need and nothing more.

As you move forward this month, are you holding on to things that you no longer need? What is preventing you from letting go?

Photo Credit: gesika22 | Flickr.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad Joanna and I could help, Karen. I was just saying to Joanna how good it felt chatting to you about your upcoming blog move and feeling that we had made a positive difference.
Can't wait to see you in your new home, er, I mean, blog! Can I come to your blogwarming party?
Amy
xx

Anonymous said...

This sounds exciting Karen. Look forward to seeing what you have in store for us.

Great that Amy & Joanna were able to help you out with lots of great ideas.

Unknown said...

@Amy, in addition to just having a fun time chatting you and Joanna turned on the light switch and illuminated the room for me! I was so excited after our talk I could barely sit still! xx

@Yvonne, in the writing cafe you talked about connecting through voice. It is indeed powerful as evidenced by my Saturday chat with Amy and Joanna. You are one of the people that has truly inspired me to go to the next level. Thank you so much for your encouragement and support.

Blogwarming party? Oooh, now I have tons of ideas! What a great idea!

Steph said...

Another great and relevant post for me! I'm just trying to answer that question now!

PS. Thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

I'm glad we could help Karen - and can't wait to see where you go with your plans.

I on the other hand am gearing up for a physical move, so will be applying your blogging lessons about what to take and what to leave behind back in my real life :-)

Joanna

Roland Hesz said...

It seems to me that May and June really are the months for cleaning, painting, rebuilding and moving.

Karen I wish you the best luck with moving your blog.
And curious, what service, host will you pick, and how it will change you blogging habits and style.

And I answered your question, rather accidentally I think, a few moment before I read your post.

Unknown said...

@Steph, I am so glad that this post was relevant. I'm excited to watch your plans unfold too!

@Joanna, I know that your physical move will also be a great source of inspiration for all of us. Knowing you I can already sense the powerful writing lessons that will emerge from the move. I'm tingling with excitement.

@Roland, like Joanna you are also planning big things and I look forward to sharing your experience. I am moving to self hosted WordPress and separating the business blog from the personal. Stay tuned for more. ;-)

Anonymous said...

A sore spot! My wife and I both have trouble letting go of things, so our house has become a mountain of clutter. If and when we move ... yikes. Good luck with your move, Karen. It's a big job but worth it!

Unknown said...

@Brad, even when you think you're letting go of things a move reveals how much you've accumulated! When I moved from CA to MI my brother helped. He threw away far more than I would have as he had no emotional attachment to my stuff. It helps to bring in an objective third party! You and your wife should watch Clean House, it is hysterical!