Monday, January 28, 2008

The Road to Success is Paved with Giving

I received my weekly e-newsletter from Jeff Crilley, TV Reporter and in it he writes:

“Whether you are having a Starbucks with a potential client or trying to pitch the media a story, it is important to remember--- IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU!

I run into a lot of people who say they are networking. But I have discovered that if you go into any relationship with YOUR goals in the forefront of your mind, you will fail.

Try this the next time you are approaching a member of the media or trying to attract a new client or customer---help them first.”

I could not agree more. I am a huge proponent of AUTHENTICITY in marketing. Authentic according to the dictionary is to be genuine, real, not false or copied. I believe that for your marketing to be authentic you must create real connections with your market. Connections which are only possible when you truly care about their needs and wants.

Are your marketing materials all about YOU? When speaking with potential customers are you more interested in what you can sell them than what they need?

In his newsletter, Jeff quoted one of my favorite Zig Ziglar quotes: “You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”

Try implementing this simple philosophy into your networking and marketing. I guarantee that if you look for way to help others get what they want your business and life will be richer than ever imagined.

3 comments:

Admin said...

Great post. There's nothing worse than going to a networking event and having people give you a sales pitch all the time.

PS: It might be worth changing your setting so people who don't have blogger blogs can comment. I know another blogger who did this recently and he gets more traffic now.

Unknown said...

Info, thanks for the comment and tip! I agree there is no greater turn off than someone who is clearly only interested in what you can do for them. Thanks for the comment.

Unknown said...

Karen,

Great blog! I'm glad you posted the link in the LinkedInPowerWomen forum. YOu deserve to be read and seen.

Always in friendship and gratitude,
Maya Walker
http://womanity.blogspot.com