Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I Pity the Fool

by Karen D. SwimIn case no one has clued you in, today is April 1, 2008 better known as that celebratory day of jest April Fool’s Day, All Fool’s Day or Taily Day. The origins are unclear and though there are cultural variations, it certainly is a day for laughter.

In my circle the tomfoolery actually began yesterday. I’ve always considered my friends a bunch of jokers and this time of year, well they’re in their element. So if you have not yet been pranked or punk’d beware the day is young.

Today is also the beginning of National Poetry Month. Robert Lee Brewer is running a poem a day challenge. To sign up visit the Poetic Asides Blog at Writers Digest. If reading is more your thing, hop on over to Poem a Day, and enter your e-mail address. You will then receive a poem per day in your email inbox. To start the month off, I’ve copied below one of my recent favorites.

As We Are So Wonderfully Done With Each Other
By Kenneth Patchen

As we are so wonderfully done with each other
We can walk into our separate sleep
On floors of music where the milkwhite cloak of childhood lies

O my lady, my fairest dear, my sweetest, loveliest one
Your lips have splashed my dull house with the speech of flowers
My hands are hallowed where they touched over your soft curving.

It is good to be weary from that brilliant work
It is being God to feel your breathing under me

A waterglass on the bureau fills with morning…
Don’t let anyone in to wake us.

Do you have a favorite poet or poem? Do you write poetry?

Remember that laughter and poetry have something in common, they’re both good for the soul. Enjoy the day!

Photo Credit: Sebastian Niedlich(Grabthar), Flickr

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Too funny.

First, the frog is cracking me up. Second, I noticed you had morphed into Barack Obama.

Are you ready to be president?!

I used to write poetry, but I haven't in a long time. But once in awhile I get that poetic flash and I'll scribble something down.

Good Day! E

Unknown said...

@ Ellen ROFL! I didn't want to write a fake post so I opted for the frog which cracked me up and switching the profile photo. You have a great eye! I haven't written poetry as much recently but I am going to give the poem a day thing a shot. I love how poetry can infuse your writing. If nothing else it should be hilarious to see what garbage I can spew for a month. LOL!

Happy Day!!

K

Anonymous said...

As you know, Karen, poetry is one of the great loves in my life. I teach it at uni too, which is so great because often the students are quite resistant to it, but by the time the leave the class my enthusiasm seems to have rubbed off on them. Favourite poets: TS Eliot, Robert Burns, e.e. cummings, Dylan Thomas, Roger McGough, Sylvia Plath, Carol Ann Duffy... the list goes on and on. Favourite line from a poem though is probably from Yeats' He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven, which ends:
'I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.'
Just beautiful...
Amy
xx

Unknown said...

@Amy I love all of the poets too and it so hard to choose just one. We'll have to treat readers this month with some of our favorites. I honestly think that poetry is for everyone and writing it improves your writing overall.

@Adam and @Smartphone Thank you both for support and links. Always happy to support others as well.