Monday, April 21, 2008

The Long Hot Race

by Karen D. Swim

980844140_248c122321

It was August and the Hawaiian sun had risen with a searing determination to melt away my resolve to finish this marathon. The white hot pavement threatened to melt my sneakers with each step. I looked to the left at the cobalt blue ocean and found not one ounce of comfort in its beauty. What good is a scenic marathon when you are hallucinating and close to sun stroke? I glanced at my wristband that had the names of my honored teammate, one of my best friends, a brother-in-law and my husband. I breathed in the hot muggy air, ignored the leg cramps and ran on.

The Maui Marathon was brutal but I crossed the finish line. I've racked up a lot of miles on the road and in life. Some of the miles have been under my feet and others have tread right over me. The lessons learned from the journey have been a huge help to me in business.

"Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." --Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Goal setting, discipline, the value of a support team and managing disappointment are just a few of the lesson with business application. You can run a few marathons of your own (and if you're up for it, I totally recommend it!) or stay with me this week as I share from my own successes and failures. You may not run the same way, distance or speed but I hope that I can spare you a few blisters on your own run.

Please join me this week and share your own thoughts. This is a place where input and ideas are welcomed as we all learn from each other. Just like a marathon, we all come to the starting line with our own reasons for being there. We've followed different training plans, and pre-race rituals but none of that matters as we line up and wait for the race to begin.

Photo Credit: Flickr, flyingpanther

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, your writing is just incredible! The way you can evoke a scene and an experience is truly awe-inspiring, and even though I am not a runner (unless it's for a bus!) I will happily run alongside you this week :-)
Amy
xx

Roland Hesz said...

I am curious.
Admittedly don't like to run - hah, just ask my training partners -, I can if needed.
Like when someone tries to catch me :)

But I am waiting for your thoughts here, for I am sure they will be helpful in the future.

Unknown said...

@ Amy, LOL! Running for the bus has many lessons too. :-) Thank you so much for your encouraging words Amy. I am taking risks and living audaciously thanks to you! I'm glad you'll join this week's "run." I know that you'll have some insights to share as well.

@ Roland, you never fail to bring a smile to my face and I'm so thankful for your wit and insight. This week we can all run toward our individual goals together. HA! Great reason to get the legs pumping! I hope that others can benefit from my experiences as that makes it all worthwhile. I hope you'll pop in and share a few of your own too. :-)

Cheers my friends,

Karen
xx

Anonymous said...

Karen, congratulations on the Maui Marathon!!

Unknown said...

@big peach runner Thanks!! :-) It was brutal, hot and I hallucinated but I keep running. I am, however fully cured of "scenic" marathons. You'll have to share your running lessons this week too. Runners have a shared experience but we also gain unique insights. What have you gained from running? How have you applied that to life and/or business?

Karen

Anonymous said...

This is a really nice post, Karen.

I just don't think I can keep up with you and your marathon ways!

It is good to push yourself, though. You have to push yourself to see what you're capable of.

Unknown said...

@Ellen, lol! I agree that it's good to push yourself,as we are often surprised by what we are truly capable of accomplishing. Of course it's a lot more fun with company, so link arms and let's run! :-)