Saturday, April 26, 2008

Student 'Twitters' his way out of Egyptian jail

James Karl Buck helped free himself from an Egyptian jail with a one-word blog post from his cell phone, which read "Arrested." It is a miracle that authorities did not confiscate his phone upon arrest. I learned of this story on Twitter from @NadineTouzet. I urge you to follow James on Twitter, @jamesbuck and join the efforts to find and free his translator. For all those who wrote Twitter off as a waste of time, this story illustrates why twitter has become a hot social media tool. Twitter is about people and community. It is a tool that enables us to reach out and connect with others. The topics range from the serious to the mundane, in other words just like life.

read more | digg story

7 comments:

Melissa Donovan said...

That's pretty crazy, but I can't help wondering how their jail system is set up if he had to sneak a call. Maybe they don't the one phone call that's so famous here in the U.S.

P.S. I'm still waiting to find out your secret agent ID ;)

Melissa Donovan at Writing Forward
Writing Forward

Unknown said...

Melissa, I know just thinking about it is scary. In the US we're allowed a phone call but that's not true in so many other countries. James is fervently trying to free his friend. Follow his tweets for live updates.

Outsideindetroit is my other identity, shhhh... :-)

Karen

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a lot of weird stuff happens in "other" countries. Let us know what happens, Karen. I'll try to follow, but I don't know if I'll have enough time today.

Unknown said...

Hi Ellen! Honestly a lot of weird stuff happens in our country too, we just don't always hear about it. I'm following the story and will definitely keep you posted.

Karen

Anonymous said...

You are so right. I supposed I phrased that the wrong way.

And regarding the US, we only know what the media tells us. Or what we can dig up ourselves.

Can you get feed burner so I can RSS your site? Please?

Anonymous said...

I think I got it Karen, subscribing to Blogger is slightly different than WordPress. You have to enter your email. No prob!
E

Unknown said...

Ellen, this is one of the many reasons I love having you as a friend! I visit so many blogs that I didn't even remember I don't have an rss button on my own side. You asked, I added. ;-) Now you can subscribe via RSS or email. Yes, it took me one hour to get the right code and image host site but I now have something to blog about on RSS day, woot! Thanks Ellen!